Monday, June 23, 2008

Find Your School of Fish

We live in a pretty competitive society.  

We also tend to believe that the pie from which we can eat is a fixed size.  I get a piece...you get a piece.  If I want more of a piece then you will get less of a piece.  

I want you to stop thinking like that for a moment and think of this.

Out there, in the World, are enough clients to make us all happy.  Your goal is to find the ones that want to listen to what you have to say and charge them the rates you want to charge.

I used to feel that if I wanted to create a big business then others would suffer.  What I learned was that by providing quality information and spreading that information to others I actually raised everyones awareness of what good information and service was all about.  By doing so we all made more money and I was a happy boy.

You have a message.  You may feel it is not that different than others who are spreading a similar message.  But the major difference is that the person who is spreading the message (you) is what is different.  And YOU will attract a school of fish who likes you, and only you.  And not the other guy. 

I was watching a show a while back called "What's Your Time Worth."  Before the commercial they teased me by saying that, "After the break we'll introduce you to a time management coach who'll help you get more done in less time." So I waited through the commercial to see this Life Coach who had this crazy hair, a white bow tied in a ribbon around her head, a wrist brace on her wrist, and I believe she was a little chubby.  Now there is nothing wrong with any of those things, but to me this was not someone who I thought oozed "time-management-got-your-life-together" sort of image.  I wasn't impressed but obviously this woman has a client base worthy enough of getting her on a national TV show.  It was just proof to me that anyone can have a successful client base.

Your goal is to not be THE expert.  It's to be THEIR expert.  I'll talk more about that in our next post.

Jonathan -

No comments: